Sunday, November 1, 2009

No one throws up from being scared

I'm definitely in the minority at this time of year. My favorite part about Halloween is seeing all the little kiddos in their pumpkin, dinosaur, Superman, or bunny rabbit costumes, and giving them candy. My favorite part about Halloween in no way involves the following:

1. Turning any costume idea (BLANK) you can think of into a "Sexy BLANK". My date was dressed as the Swine Flu (?) and I was a gypsy. When he asked me why I wasn't a sexy gypsy, I said I would but only if he went as the sexy Swine Flu.

2. Getting supremely drunk. I don't think there's any explanation needed here. But, when a person does want to do either 1. or 2. ... why post it on Facebook? Is it really necessary to broadcast on the internet how desperate you are?

3. Watch a scary movie. This pretty much goes for any time of year. However, Halloween takes it no a new level. Here's a good example: Paranormal Activity. What in the mother love is that? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why do we need that in our lives? I seriously can't even watch the commercials for these films let alone the trailers, let alone the movie. In Fear, I spent the last 15 minutes of the movie with my head in my knees. In From Dusk Till Dawn ... I got up and left the theater.

Who in the rock comes up with this stuff? While I HATE being scared, if people like it, people like it. But whose bass-akwards mind creates these films and then has the stomach to film them? Not it.

Who sits around and thinks, oh I'll make a movie about a girl who decides to eat her best friend (Jennifer's Body)? I have a lot of female friends - some close, some not. Never ever have I thought eating their flesh was an effective relationship management tool. Or, how about we put some kids in a youth hostel and gruesomely torcher them to the point where no one will ever want to even travel again - ever - let alone stay in an economical boarding house (Hostel)? Perhaps this movie is what tanked the travel industry and not the poorly run airlines / bad economy. Anyone ever consider that?

The twisted mind it must take to create those movies is something I can't comprehend. I do not have those thoughts. Normal, healthy people do not have those thoughts. Well-adjusted people come up with movies like The Bourne Trilogy, Juno, 500 Days of Summer.

I'll be staying on that side of the line.

Happy November 1.

2 comments:

  1. As a dude, I am completely on board with people turning their halloween costumes slutty. Sluts make the world go round. That said, I'm not a big Halloween fan anymore, I'd just as soon not dress up before I get drunk. I'm pretty content to sit and watch scary movie marathons on Halloween now. You've got it right- normal, healthy people definitely don't make the kind of messed up movies that you hate- but I don't know what I'd do without them.

    So by my count, that's 2 agrees and 2 disagrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps Welcome to the batting order. Good to have you aboard.

    ReplyDelete