Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Morning Reading

Do you ever miss The Way I See It on the back of Starbuck's cups? A little slice of insight from some regular (and some not-so-regular) Joes, who had enough time to not only think that somewhat provacative thought, but to also log on to starbucks.com and navigate to where one would submit such a comment. I'm a bit tired just considering it. Nonetheless I miss those simple wisdoms. Now the cups just tell me how I'm so fabulous for buying fair trade beans ergo saving the world ... But, since I throw the cup away rather than recycling it (are those things even recyclable? I have no idea), aren't I somehow back to par?

The Way I See It #76 - The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life. - Anne Morriss.

Thank you Anne.

4 comments:

  1. I just recently have started to enjoy Starbucks...So I really have no basis for comment...other than they make good coffee.

    Also, I'm not sure I agree with Ms. Morriss's way I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Starbucks is high priced and only popular because all of the Hollywood stars drink it. I am all about supporting mom and pop coffee shops like Coffee Company. The coffee is just as good, if not better. Keep in mind this is coming from a non coffee drinker, so take it or leave it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Anne's comment was in reference to "jumping", having the gumption to take the plunge if you will. If you don't have that "commitment" as she calls it, you can rationalize your way to doing something more vanilla.

    And by the fact I have posted her quote, i realize that I have become the pot calling myself, the kettle, black.

    I'm also glad you're recruited as a starbuck's drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way I read Ms. Morriss's comment, is that it has more to do with freeing yourself from yourself, by "committing" to something (i.e. Throwing yourself into your job, your hobbies, or your love); I guess from my point of view Ms. Morriss, is missing the importance of balance. All of the above is important, an in my eyes all necessary to lead a happy life.

    I read her comment as using the term committment to excuse an unbalanced life...

    I am not saying a balanced life is the only way to go, you can look at many people across many aspects of life. Its just the way I read it and understand it.

    Here is one of my favorites:
    "The way to develop self-confidence is to do the thing you fear and get a record of successful experiences behind you. Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

    ~William Jennings Bryan

    ReplyDelete