Thursday, May 6, 2010

TAG! You're it.

I'm working out at the gym the other day and basically counting the seconds (which feel like minutes) until I can get off the eliptical machine. When I finally do reach the 30min mark and head to clean the machine, I look around. What I see is not pleasant. A room full of overheated middle-aged people still agonizingly doing their counting. Not much in the way of Olympic aspirations or body-building competitions.

What are we doing? Oh the depression.

It occurred to me in that moment, that wouldn't it be better if we all just played a big game of tag? Like we did when we were kids, running through the neighborhoods, between each other's backyards. I remember running and biking and skipping and jumping. I know that dodge ball is making a real name for itself these days with adult leagues and here's my theory why - it's fun. It's fun that happens to incorporate exercise. Not exercise that might have a little fun in it (read: step aerobics).

So I ask why do we have to stop doing the fun things? Why can't we go meet up on Saturday mornings for sessions of red rover, red light/green light, and my personal favorite TV tag? I would definitely set my alarm on a weekend for that.

8 comments:

  1. HI Amanda! Didn't know you had a blog! I have one too, you can see it in my facebook profile. I agree with you on exercising. As a kid I would jump on my trampoline, --got lots of exercise there.

    In senior phy-ed, we always had to play kickball. I was mad because i would have rather play basketball, so I hardly participated and ended up with a B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the Friends episode where Rachael didn't want to run with Phoebe because she ran like such a weirdo, and she pointed out that she ran like a kid and was trying to have fun? Maybe you need to be the one to jump up on the elliptical machine and challenge the YMCA to a game of tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you just explained why guys and some girls, love to play recreational sports....

    Softball in the spring/summer; basketball in the fall/winter....

    That's why there is a such a demand for rec. league sports...then you get a good workout in while doing something fun...doesn't feel like a work out, but it is....

    I suggest giving it a go....Sand Volleyball anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg, I did think about that. What if I just ran up to someone, slapped them on the shoulder and yelled 'tag - you're it!' and ran away? I would think it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's organize a jailbreak game over Christmas break. Seriously.

    Also, my 6th grade teacher broke my wrist while we were playing Red Rover at recess. But at least I held firm and didn't let her break our wall. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny because my babysitter/neighbor broke my pinky finger during a game of Statue. I don't think we should re-enact that game now that we all weigh more than 100 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can think of two little kids who'd love a game of statue. :D

    ReplyDelete