Monday, March 1, 2010

Every Woman's Nightmare? Or, Just That of a Few Men?

Swimsuits.

It may only be early spring (or mid-winter where I am) but about a week ago I decided to start shopping for swimsuits. The demon of all demons, the bane of women's existences, swimsuits cause fear and loathing in the hearts of many. Dun dun duuunnnnn. (read: sound effect)

But I have to say that for me, while I look about as far from Gisele as does my boyfriend, swimsuit shopping doesn't bother me. I understand what I've got to work with and I know that 1/2 a yard of fabric and plastic clasp isn't going to change much. Going in with realistic expectations saves me the brutal shock and pained eyes many experience.

After digging a bit online, a thought crossed my mind. I am of a certain age and a certain body type that perhaps it's time to go the route of the one-piece. I was thinking a classy, flirty one-piece, something in a solid, richer color, perhaps with a lower neckline to keep things interesting. (no ruffle skirts or Olympic uniforms)

I really thought I was on a roll and feeling pretty proud of myself when I sent 4 options via email to the aforementioned man in my life. He swiftly responded that I must have age and/or body issues for even considering these one-piece shenanigans. "Ha! One man's opinion," I thought.

Later that week I asked a female friend if she liked one-pieces or if my idea was in left field. She got very excited that one-pieces were, in fact, adorable and she was looking for some too (she actually does resemble Gisele, so I was starting to feel back on track). Yet, only about 2 seconds into my relief, her fiance piped up in the background that one-pieces were nothing but horrible.

So I got to thinking. Are one-piece swimsuits really that ugly or are they just ugly to men? Are they like capri pants, skinny jeans, and pointy-toe shoes??? (ie: the only people who think they are sexy are the ones wearing them)

1. Is that true?
2. If so, what's a girl to do who wants to swim/tan/wakeboard/boat in something classy, flirty, comfortable, and fun?

The saga continues.

5 comments:

  1. Seriously- what is it about this magical '30' age. I was thinking the same thing about suits and almost bought a one-piece last week. Are we aging ourselves more than we need to? Maybe I just want comfort and no more worrying about rolls;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta side with the big guy on this one. You're nowhere near old enough to be considering one-pieces, in my opinion. Shenanigans, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try being 30 and knocked up with twins! I might as well just wrap myself in a muumuu or some other tent this summer. :) There are some cute one pieces out there. What's worse, wearing a bikini when you shouldn't be wearing one, or looking good in a tasteful, yet sassy, one piece? I think I'd rather rock an old lady suit than have people think I'm trying to reclaim my lost youth. Of course, I know a 50 year old who looks amazing in a bikini, but I think she may have had some surgical help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to show you a few suits for this season. We have a lovely Coleman ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future... muska obuca

    ReplyDelete