Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dressing. (not the kind you put on salads or eat with turkey)

I looked in the mirror today and thought "Ugh. Gross."

Now, before you roll your eyes and think this will be some diatribe on how I think I'm ugly, hang on. I wasn't upset with my physical appearance at all. I was upset with what I was wearing (and am actually still wearing as I write this). I've always been interested and inspired by fashion, not just by what the designers do artistically but even with how functional clothing can say something about a person.

As I looked in the mirror this morning I'm not sure I liked what this outfit said about me. I know I didn't. It said: bad taste.

Most women, and I think some men, probably take risks every now and again and end up wearing something they later regret. I can accept that that's trying. Where I'm disappointed with myself this time is that my faux-pas came from not trying. It came from enough moments of putting down the really beautiful (probably expensive) item and either relying on the old standby I already had in my closet or worse, purchasing the cheaper, more poorly made version of what I wanted.

You might think here: well, that's just being budget-conscious and non-materialistic.

To that, on the one hand, I say thank you. I do not wish to go broke buying clothing I do not need, and I really don't want to be one of those people who have more clothes than the Gap Outlet. I've nearly prided myself on being minimalistic to some extents.

On the other hand, what that's done is turned me in to someone who looks hastily groomed and like they just don't quuuiiiiiiiiite get it. Gross.

Fashion may not be everything to everyone, but to me, clothes make the (wo)man. Throw some hot shoes in there and, well, sign me up.

Therefore, my pledge to myself is to figure out a way to define my preferred style, weed out the junk that makes me look like I'm still on a college budget, and start incorporating the lovely pieces I actually want to jump into every morning to take on the world.

1 comment:

  1. Dress well, play well, that's what I always say. But I'm not above rocking clothes from the thrift store, either.

    ReplyDelete